30 November 2009
The Community Sport Team is playing a key role in the realisation of the Participation targets identified within ‘Sport Matters’ the Strategy for Sport and Physical Recreation in Northern Ireland 2009-2019. The targets in ‘Sport Matters’ are premised on the LISPA Framework to promote lifelong involvement in sport and physical activity.
The primary function of the Community Sport Team is to develop Policies and Programmes that will support and enable increased opportunities for participation in sport and physical recreation, especially among underrepresented groups as identified in ‘Sport Matters’.
The Community Sport Team delivers these functions through:
The Community Sport Team advocates and recognises the importance of a partnership approach and works in partnership with a diverse range of stakeholders including:
- Community and Voluntary Organisations;
- Sports Governing Bodies and Sports Clubs;
- Countryside/Rural Development;
- Education (schools, colleges and universities);
- Public Health Organisations; and
- Other Government Departments and organisations.
The Community Sport Team also manage several investment programmes, examples of investment programmes include: