What is Performance Analysis?
Performance Analysis provides the athletes and coaches with objective information that helps them understand performance. This process is underpinned by systematic observation, which provides valid, reliable and detailed information relating to performance. Performance Analysis can help enhance the coaching process by providing statistical and video information.
This objective data facilitates enhanced feedback between coaches and athletes. Subsequent interventions can then lead to a greater performance impact. We work closely with coaches, athletes and other service providers to ensure that the analysis is effectively integrated into athlete development programmes.
How does Performance Analysis Help Athletes?
To achieve repeated success coaches and athletes must know and understand what they have done to make them successful/unsuccessful.
Coaches and athletes spend a great deal of time thinking about how you can improve, or trying to understand the elements that make up a good performance. Many coaches rely on what they observe in real-time to inform their coaching decisions. Research shows that coaches can, on average, recollect around 40% of key performance factors that they had actually seen. In terms of the coaching process, if the observation of performance is limited then the rest of the process is then in question. That’s why Performance Analysis can be extremely beneficial.
Benefits for Athletes
- Improved technical and tactical knowledge
- Improved decision making
- Improved confidence
Benefits for Coaches
- Assists in understanding of athletes strengths and weaknesses
- Enhances their own development and coaching practice
- Enables in-depth review of performance
The Performance Analysis Team at the Sports Institute go beyond the traditional methods of analysing video; using advanced performance analysis software, athletes and coaches will have a greater understanding of performance, allowing them make better decisions about their training and interventions.
The Sports Institute has provided Performance Analysis support to wheelchair basketball athletes for a number of years. The continuing goal when working with any athlete is to help them to understand how they are performing. Our role is to provide them and their coaches with objective information, increasing their chances of maximising training effects and achieving success. Through this provision athletes have the opportunity to:
- Improve the understanding of performance with precise and objective performance reviews after every game throughout the season
- Provide real-time technical analysis to improve their skills
- Set realistic goals and objectives for specific matches through video feedback
The Sports Institute has worked with Triathlon since 2007. Performance Analysts use the latest hardware and software to link physiology and other forms of data with video. This integration with the physiology team gives athletes the perspective that helps them understand the link between data and real performance. Through these interventions we aim to:
- Assist other service providers with their provision
- Provide online access to video footage, which will improve feedback and communication between staff and athletes
- Provide support through training camps and competition profiling